Sunday, August 19, 2012

jordanian hospitality

Being in a foreign country again reminded me of Hazel, the Filipino lady working in the Jordan Tower Hotel. She had been working there for some years, and from what I knew, haven't really gone out much on her own. In the hospitality industry, especially in a budget hotel rated top 3, I can understand why they are needed there almost 24/7.


So when I met up with my new Couchsurfing friend, I decided to bring her out with me. We managed to get approval from her supervisor to sneak her out a couple of hours!

It was also for my own safety since my friends weren't into CS as much as I am! My instincts have guided me most of the time, but being in a foreign country, in the region where it is not famous for gender equality, I wanted to play safe. Personally, I wouldn't have minded going out myself, though it's always merrier to have more company. I was really glad that Hazel later commented she enjoyed herself, being driven in a nice car and being taken out to see the very city she lives in.


Osama, my new Jordanian friend was very hospitable. He drove to downtown Amman where the hotel was located, and picked us up. He asked where we'd like to go and wanted to show us around the city. By then I had been so used to walking and surrounded by dust that it felt rather luxurious to be in an air-conditioned car.


I shared with him what wonderful hospitality we were experiencing. Even the breakfast that came with the room felt too good to be true. It was definitely money very well spent! Every morning we'd get this spread at the cafe next to the lobby, with unlimited refills on the tea and side dishes. They were pretty generous with the jam, cream and humus.

They were all personally cooked by Hazel and her colleagues, who were also very nice people who spoke good English. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone wishing to experience Amman and greater Jordanian hospitality.


It has a warm community feel to it, decorated with items which might belong more in a house, and surrounded by books donated by travelers who have since gone on to other destinations.

I'm glad we had our last stop of Jordan here. Downtown Amman may look far from glamorous, but it's truly the quiet generosity and hospitality of the people that stole my heart. I'm glad for the people I have the privilege to meet.

Just like in my Euro backpack trip, it's almost always the people that seemingly have less who have the biggest hearts, thumbs down. There is still yet hope for humanity!

No comments: