Monday, July 16, 2007

an almost surfer

I was about to ride the board, waiting with scores of other people along the edge of the sea. The 2m high wave was just behind us, I knew I had to get the timing right. It was my first time surfing, and I was both nervous and excited. I'd never imagine myself getting on a surfing board and trying to see if I could balance myself on it.

As I turned to ready myself and look forward to soaring in the air, suddenly everything crumbled...

I was rudely awaken by someone vigorously shaking the door. Now who's that idiot who just ruined my dream. As I walked towards the door, I shouted, "Who's that?!" But he wouldn't listen. Is he deaf or what? I got scared, what is he trying to do to my door?!

Then I realised, no one was outside. The door was still shaking, I was still reeling from the after-effects of not completing my dream. I was half-dazed and just wanted him to stop trying to push down my door so that I can go back to complete my dream.

It struck me then, we were being hit by an earthquake! The shaking went on for about a minute, if I remembered correctly. I went under the table and waited till it subsided. I was more confused than frightened.

It felt quite surreal, since I'm quite a heavy sleeper and I didn't even realise the bed was shaking. It was the rocking door that woke me up and I thought someone was trying to push his way in to my room!

Later I googled for the latest news and found out indeed it was an earthquake centred at the Niigata prefecture. Tokyo was affected too. Thank God it wasn't serious here. But I never found out whether I could surf or not.

Japan rocked by major earthquake
Earthquake Hits Central Japan; Two Killed, Kyodo Says
Strong Earthquake Jolts Northwestern Japan

No comments: