Monday, June 26, 2006

of 100mbps and cute kitties

This is bad. I knew when I got internet connection in my room, I'd be hooked. Just like how I was back in MMU. Having 24-hour connection has been a blessing in many ways, I no longer have to lug my brick of a laptop to the campus in the wee hours of the night just to check my mails and call home.

I can even leave it on while I go to school and not have to worry about missing any messages. I can stream music while I do my work, and one of the bestest thing is I can download erm, stuff with this wonderful speed of 100Mbps. Yes, please go ahead and drool and envy the amazing VDSL technology we have here in Japan. Gosh, I feel so spoilt I'm gonna miss all these when I go back to Malaysia.

Anyways, I must share this bit of thing I learnt about the Nihonjin. One of my neighbours have been keeping a stray cat for some time now. I think the landlord doesn't allow pets, so sometimes my neighbour has to let the cat run out in case the landlord sees it.



Recently the she-cat (I know there must be a proper jargon for this, but for some reason, my ability to think in English has been affected by the intensive studying in Japanese) gave birth to 3 kittens. Said neighbour has no choice but to put a cardboard box just outside our apartments for her pet and the little babies. She leaves some food for them using some styrofoam tray, so this family of 4 have been surviving quite well.

So well that the kitties are looking really fine. My guess is that they are no more than a month old but they are quite big sized already. This week, they have been wandering near the entrance of the apartment. I didn't realise they were so near the gate until I heard some commotion outside my window this afternoon.



I'm staying at the 2nd floor (the Japs call our 1st floor their 2nd floor, therefore ground floor is their 1st floor, & so on) 1st room so I have a good view of the students passing by our area. So I went to the window to see what was happening, and to my surprise, I saw Japanese students oooh-ing and aaah-ing at the little kitties.

So many stopped by to admire the cats and take pictures with their mobile phones. Not just the grrls, but even macho looking guys too. They look like they've never seen kittens before in their lives. The whole afternoon I hear nothing but "Eeeee! Kawaiiii ne!!!" in typical high-pitched Jap voices.



I bet they've never seen chicks before. Wait till they find out that the chicken burger they eat in Mos Burger was once a cute little furry yellow creature who looked just as kawaii as the kittens.

1 comment:

zaini said...

must... not... hug... monitoooorrr