Monday, May 15, 2006

hepi mama day!

Wishing all the mothers out there a Happy Mother's Day! Albeit a little late, this wish comes all the way from Japan with much love.



I wanted to buy something nice from Japan for my mum, but I still wasn't sure of my way around, and last week was about only the 2nd time I had been to Niigata city. So I decided to surprise her by calling her early Sunday morning, just before she left for church.



There I was, walking in my peejays (or what must've looked like it, coz some Nihon-jins were looking at me one kind) to the campus. That was the only place I knew that had a public phone with access to make international calls.



Couldn't get mama at first, so I called papa and he said he was already in church. Asked me to try calling home instead. But I got my brother instead, who was half-dazed when I got him on the phone.



Finally reached my mama, who was most delighted to hear from me at such an hour. Hearing a familiar voice on the other end of the line on a foreign land is like a soothing balm to the weary soul. (Not that I was weary per se, heh)

No comments: