Monday, April 17, 2006

missing easter Sunday - 16 april 2006

This will be my first time missing Good Friday and Easter Sunday. For as long as I can remember, I would be in church for both services. This year, I begin to appreciate the significance of both events especially as I have been churchless since stepping foot in Japan.

Good Friday here was just another day. We had our usual intensive Japanese classes – writing, speaking, reading. I have been disconnected from the rest of the world without my handphone or daily newspaper. But thank God for technology. I received an e-card from June a few days back about Easter. Gerald sent a link to a flash presentation on the resurrection of Christ. For the first time, I'm really missing home.




Even when I was feeling miserable on the first night, it was not as bad as this. The fact that I don't have a Christian community to belong to, a church where I can attend and worship, and that I can't do anything about all these makes it even worse. I really hope that I can find a church soon, an English speaking one preferably.





It doesn't have to be big or fancy. It could be from a different denomination. Doesn't need to have all the amenities of a modern church. Or a charismatic preaching pastor.





It just feels weird not being in church on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I want to be able to break bread and drink wine (or grape juice) with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. To ponder on the sacrifice that made life worth living. To thank Him for all the things that He did without me asking. Or even worth deserving.

I really need to try harder.

No comments: