Wednesday, March 08, 2006

gamarjobat!

An almost spontaneous decision to go for the much raved about "shut up" comedy from Japan turned out to be one of the best birthday experiences ever.

Gamarjobat is touted as the "highly-acclaimed physical comedy duo who will perform a silent comedy that absolutely transcends anything you think you know about clowning, magic and mime".

When Chernie asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her there was only one thing in my mind, and only God can grant me that wish! However, since I haven't exhausted my quota for theatre this year, I told her the Gamarjobat sounds like something fun to go for.


Gamorjabat memorabilia
Autographed poster and ticket stub and other Gamorjabat memorabilia


I was surprised she agreed to pay for my ticket, knowing that productions from Gardner & Wife ain't exactly cheap. I'm into all things performing arts, but my purse dictates that I have a quota for visits to the MPO, drama/theatre and musicals!

Imagine our delight when I tried to call about the tickets to be told that they were having a promotion - buy 1 free 1! The show was just as they had said. The awards won by the eccentric duo of Hiroppon and Ketch were well deserved.

It was truly hilarious watching them pull out stunts after magic stunts. They even engaged the audience in some of their acts, and rewarded them with lollipops. One of the things that amazed me was how seamlessly they morphed from one character to another, all within seconds, with props and all.


Hiroppon & Ketch
The wacky duo who is Hiroppon & Ketch


Sporting gold and red Mohican haircuts and dressed in costumes for each act, they appeal to both kids and adults alike. All of their acts are perfectly choreographed to matching soundtrack and sound effects. The fact that their acts needed only basic props only served to remind us of their impeccable skill and compelling performance.

Thanks again, Chernie & Wes. It was a truly an evening to be remembered. The vegetarian bruschetta and mushroom and chicken pie we had at Dome's was a splendid way to cap it all off. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves as much as I did!

No comments: